(photo credit)

The small, insignificant, day-by-day things that happen in my life.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I currently look six months pregnant. I think I’ve mentioned that I occasionally have intestinal issues – it’s safe to say, I’m having problems!! I woke up several times last night with extreme pressure, one time I even cried because it hurt so much. Without going into too much detail, I think I have IBS – at least, that’s what my Google searches have produced. I’m just about to the point where I’m ready to throw in the white towel and go to the doctor. Fortunately, these “attacks” don’t happen very often, I’ve learned, through trial and error what sets them off – sort of. It’s really hard to explain what I’m feeling, but it’s pressure, bloating and trapped gas, all rolled into one uncomfortable package. It usually only lasts a day or two and things start moving again *ahem*.

It’s hard to live life, let alone focus on any sort of work, when I have these “attacks.” I’ve had to pace myself – get some work done, lay down for a bit. Kevin wanted to go out to lunch (we usually go out on Wednesdays), but the thought of eating just made me ill.

If there’s one good thing about these “attacks” it’s that I usually drop a few pounds before it’s over.

Don’t feel sorry for me, I could go to the doctor, I’m just too stubborn to do that. And if I’m right and it’s IBS, there isn’t a cure for that – only treatments. So I guess, in my mind, why go to the doctor if all they’re going to tell me is, “Sorry. But you’ll just have to watch your diet for the rest of your life.”

Well duh. I know that. Why would I want to fork over a few hundred dollars for someone to tell me that?



Thursday, August 12, 2010

I’m feeling better. Not 100%, but I’m no longer doubled over in pain, either. Whatever it was (or wasn’t), passed. This does not mean I won’t spend some time (later) figuring out what is causing these intestinal problems, but for now, life may resume. Thank God.

I got a lot of work done today. I turned my computer off feeling very satisfied with myself. Though I ran into a bit of a snafu on one project and waiting to hear back on how to handle it, the project is done and ready to go on my end. One of the reasons I got so much work done? I stayed off Twitter. Seriously. I love Twitter, but it’s a TERRIBLE time suck. I’m thinking of just forgetting about it entirely. Well, maybe not entirely, but definitely not as often.

The “Eat, Love, Pray” movie comes out today. I have mixed feelings about this book and I haven’t even read it! I’ve been reading the reviews on Amazon and that has piqued my curiosity. But I heard on the radio that it’s about a woman who suddenly decided she didn’t want to be married anymore and went on a journey to “find” herself. I’m going to have to read this book now, if nothing else, to find out what the story is really about.

I need coffee.


Thursday, August 13, 2010

The thermostat in my car got all the way up to 104 degrees today!!! I was like … shocked! I was also worried that my car would overheat because how hot does it need to get before it starts affecting your car engine?

Speaking of cars, Jazz wanted to go out to lunch today so I thought this would be a good opportunity to take Dude out driving, you know, just to make sure he doesn’t get too rusty because the boy never goes anywhere, hence, the boy never drives himself anywhere. Since it’s been so hot and the car hasn’t been opened up (or started) in over a month, I went out to air it out. I tried starting it: it wouldn’t start. AARGH! I was annoyed. We had just spent a chunk of change replacing the ignition box/starter thingy.

I complained to Kevin, but he couldn’t look at it as he had a luncheon date with an old colleague. So, Dude and I took off in my car and we went up to meet Jazz for lunch. We ended up eating at Steak N’ Shake and though we missed Kevin, it was nice to have my boys to myself. The boys stuffed their faces (okay fine, I did, too), we got Jazz back to school so he could finish out band camp and we came home.

Dude and I drove up to the house and the first thing we noticed? The black car is gone. I didn’t panic, I just figured Kevin got home early and took the car out for a run – and that’s what happened.

However, after about thirty minutes, I started getting worried about him because here is my handicapped husband, (but not for much longer!), out in a car I didn’t trust in 100 degree weather. You can see why I was worried, right? So I checked messages to make sure he hadn’t called to tell me what he was doing and I nearly had a heart attack when I heard the voice say, “You have one URGENT message.”

Say what??? So, I called to check and thank GOD, it wasn’t from, or about, Kevin. Now I’m spooked. So I called Kev’s cell phone, only he didn’t answer. I wasn’t too terribly worried because he has told me that he will no longer answer his phone if he’s driving (I don’t answer mine while I’m driving either. Actually, I never answer mine, but whatever). I leave him a message figuring his phone will notify him he has a message and he’ll check it when he can.

It wasn’t five seconds after I hung up that I saw him driving up. He had not only gotten the car started (duh), but he had taken it to get it washed. He said it was running great and that he had to give it a bit more gas before it would start up. Still, I’m a little nervous; I’m not sure I trust this car very much and my boys will be driving it. We’ll just have to make a point of making sure it’s started/driven once or twice a week.

I had a very productive day, work wise. I’m cranking through my emails and now have them down to about three or four (trust me, this is a good thing). I got permission from the school district to work on another site and will be uploading their brand, spanking new website as soon as I finish here. I can’t tell you how satisfied I am with myself. I still have a lot of work ahead of me, but I’m making progress and not feeling quite so buried.

I’m nibbling on chocolate – I have a feeling I’m going to regret that decision in the coming days. Apparently, I never learn. *sigh*


Saturday, August 14, 2010

“Good morning sunshine.” This is how Kevin greets the boys every morning. This is funny because the boys are anything BUT sunshine early in the mornings. Jazz is naturally a morning person so once he has a few minutes to wake up, he’s pretty much okay. But Dude is NOT a morning person and takes a least a few hours before he’s feeling civil enough to speak. Me? Well, my eyes are open and I can answer questions when asked – I think that qualifies as awake, wouldn’t you?

Kevin and I went sofa shopping today. I know what you’re thinking, “But Karen, didn’t you JUST buy a sofa, loveseat and chair like, three years ago?” Why yes, yes we did and don’t you have a good memory! However, the fabric we selected, though totally awesome and the color is to die for, is not wearing well. We’ve been noticing bald spots. BALD SPOTS! On a set of furniture not even three years old! UNACCEPTABLE!! And now that we think about it, we’re not quite sure we even LIKE this particular style because the seat is too long and you sort of have to sit sideways to get comfortable and the back is not high enough so you get a crick in your neck whenever you try and lay your head back.

We checked out three different places and we found one we really liked. Our problem? We’re not sure what color to get because, wait for it, we’re ripping the carpets out of our living and dining room and putting in hardwood floors. Only, we have oak furniture, so we want a dark floor, which means that our sofa /loveseat combo? Should probably be light, as in either tan or taupe. We plan on looking at flooring tomorrow.

Don’t you love shopping for one thing only for it to lead to something else entirely? I’m pretty psyched out about these changes, but my pocketbook? Not so much.


I love Oh life because they send you an email at 8:00 p.m. every night asking you how your day went. You reply to the email and it automatically posts to your Oh Life account.

These entries are raw, immediate and from the heart. You can expect to see these updates every Wednesday and Sunday (or thereabouts)

Thanks for reading.

2 thoughts on “Day-By-Day”

  1. I’m embarrassed to admit this, but after many days of thinking, nay, obsessing over what in the world triggered this latest “attack”, I suddenly remembered …

    I had a FIERCE chocolate craving the other day – so bad, that I just couldn’t concentrate. Since I’ve stopped buying chocolate in an attempt to lose weight, I was on the verge of giving up when I ran across some old (think Easter old) peanut M&M’s.

    I’m embarrassed to admit to you all just how many of those suckers I consumed – think 1/4 of a bag.

    I’m am about 88% certain those peanuts were the cause of my intense “attack.” I’ve only had one other attack that bad before and I suspected peanuts then, too.

    I am pretty sure I’ve developed some sort of allergy, or at the very least, an aversion, to peanuts. My problem is, I get complacent. I go for weeks without any problems and start eating food that I love, but that do not love me and POW.

    Six months pregnant.

    I really have no one to blame but myself.

    And I’m going to have a stash of emergency chocolate on hand for those fierce cravings – sans the peanuts, of course.

  2. Hi Karen – I hardly ever go on-line anymore, so when I hopped on tonight – I was shocked to see 1. an old lady hit then ran on your husband, and 2. you’re still having digestive issues. Glad to see the husband is doing well. I’ll have to do some scrolling around here some night to find out the scoop on the old lady (drunk? sleeping? both? and apparently totally amoral). OK – what could be causing the intestinal distress? I experience similar syptoms from grapes, pears & peppers – even a tiny little amount of dehydrated green pepper in bottled Italian salad dressing. I determined this by taking notes on what I ate for weeks – and eating the sume stuff over and over whilst swapping in only one or two new foods a day… but it was well worth it to be rid of this trouble. I know some people also have issues with artificial sweeteners and “sugar alcohols” . And my husband had problems with a snack called Fiber One bars – and when he checked on line to see if anyone else did too (googled “fiber one bar digestive issues” – or something like that) – we discovered he wasn’t alone. Some of the posts were hilarious. But I agree with your reluctance to see a doctor over this. If the “symptoms” come & go – it’s unlikely to be some wretched disease. Good luck with figuring this out.

Comments are closed.