I just found a new meme, thanks to Deb at Mom of 3 Girls (hi Deb! Haven’t been by in a while – love the digs!).
This meme is hosted by Kristi at The Wheelz are Rolling (hi Kristi! Nice to meet you!) and I’m all over this like sprinkles on chocolate syrup covered ice cream (NOT that I’ve been eating chocolate covered ice cream *ahem*)
The meme is called “Weekend Top 5”. I most likely will not participate every weekend for the simple fact we don’t DO anything on the weekends – we’re normally in a vegetated state of limpness, but this weekend? Was pretty busy.
5. I went to the MSU library and got a ton of writing done. (In fact, I’m heading there again after I post this entry). For those just joining us (welcome!), I’m participating in the NaNoWriMo challenge – which means I have until November 30th to write 50,000 words – I’m currently at 39,000 + words (you can see my progress chart in the sidebar). I haunt the university library because it’s super quiet (no screaming kids which is sort of a REQUIREMENT at public libraries and which irritates me to NO end when I’m trying to write – just saying), and since I have to have it super quiet to write, it works out beautifully.
I actually arrived at the library right at 9:00 a.m., right when they opened, so I’m sort of lucky I didn’t arrive a minute earlier or I would have been the total loser parked on the library steps, on a beautiful Saturday no less, that everyone would have gossiped about on Monday.
(I give myself way too much credit).
And may I just say to my regular readers, I bet you’re SICK TO DEATH hearing about NaNoWriMo, aren’t you. *grin* Hang in there, we’re on the homestretch and I’ll shut up about it shortly.
Of course, I also spent that time writing down deadlines and submission guidelines for the literary magazine Glimmer Train because my goal in January? Is to write a ton of short stories that hopefully will good enough to submit. What can I say? This joint ain’t called WRITE From Karen for no reason. *grin*
4. MK’s Honors Band Concert. This is the second year MK has tried out for, and made, honors band (he plays the alto saxophone, in case you didn’t know that). It’s a city-wide competition that all of the middle school band students (well not all, just the ones who are interested, which this year was a record turn out, from what I’m told) audition for. If they make it, they play together, for the first time, all day, one Saturday, songs they have never played before, and perform for their parents/family. (Wow, that was a lot of commas in one sentence).
It’s an exhausting, long day for the kids but WOW. The end result was truly amazing. They sounded phenomenal! In fact, we ordered a CD – when we get it, I’ll burn it to an MP3 format and let ya’ll hear them. Not bad for a bunch of 13/14 year olds!
It was truly a proud parent moment. 😀
3. I started my exercise routine back up this weekend.
I’ve been pretty
lazy distracted this month what with the writing challenge and all, (geez, NOT the writing challenge thing again??) and have simply gotten out of the habit of prying my butt out of my computer chair (you should SEE the indentation, it’s quite impressive – think Grand Canyon impressive) so, I walked last night.
For those that don’t know, my normal exercise routine is to do Turbo Jam for 20 minutes and then walk for six miles on my treadmill while watching a movie. (It’s really not as impressive as it sounds – the time flies by when your attention is diverted away your “barking” legs). However, I did not do Turbo Jam last night (I don’t have a death wish), I just stuck to the six miles and today?
Oy. I feel like walking jello.
2. Thanksgiving is late this year. (I bet you didn’t know that! See what sort of valuable information you take away with you when you visit me?! You’re welcome *grin*) This makes me cranky because normally, this time of year, I’m putting Christmas decorations up.
So hey, screw it. We decided to become one of those annoying people who put Christmas lights up before Thanksgiving (we’re like the only ones so far on our block – I am a wee bit embarrassed).
(This is actually from last year, but it’s the same set up).
The boys helped the husband put lights up outside while I assembled our fake Christmas tree. (I’m WAY too lazy to water a real tree, but ya’ll knew that, right?)
(The oldest son doing what we all LOVE doing, untangling the Christmas lights)
We had a great time decorating – we hung lights, decorated the tree, listened to Christmas music, drank hot cocoa – I LOVE this time of year.
I plan on posting some pictures of some of our Christmas ornaments along with a few decorations in the coming weeks, stay tuned.
1. All of the Christmas decorations got me in the mood to change my template (hey RSS readers, click over if you get a chance!).
Again, I feel a MITE uncomfortable posting this before Thanksgiving, but considering it’ll only be up for a month, well, we need to get this Christmas party started, right? *grin*
I’ll change the header for New Year’s and then post something a little more semi-permanent after New Year’s Day … if I can ever decide on what I want to do. So many possibilities … so little patience.
I will be out most of the day, working on my NaNoWriMo project. GADS, will I ever stop talking about that stupid project?!
See? I can hear your thoughts. Scary, isn’t it. 🙂